MEETING MINUTES
RESTORATION ADVISORY BOARD (RAB)
NAVAL STATION NEWPORT, RHODE ISLAND
November 16, 2011

CALL TO ORDER

The NAVSTA Newport Restoration Advisory Board (RAB) gathered at the Officers’ Club for their bimonthly meeting on Wednesday, November 16, 2011. The meeting started at 6:30 p.m. See enclosure (1) for the attendance list.

David Dorocz, the Navy Co-Chair, opened the meeting and welcomed the group.

APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES

David Dorocz asked if there were any questions or comments on the previous meeting minutes. The September 21, 2011 minutes were approved.

PRESENTATION: GOULD ISLAND DRAFT FEASIBILITY STUDY

Steve Parker (Tetra Tech) made a presentation on the Gould Island Feasibility Study (FS). There are three cleanup alternatives for on-shore: (1) no action, (2) land use controls, and (3) excavation. There are four cleanup alternatives for offshore: (1) no action, (2) monitoring and land use controls, (3) subaqueous cover in still-water area and land use controls at northeast shoreline, and (4) dredge in still-water area and land use controls at the northeast shoreline. The presentation is provided as enclosure (3).

John Vitkevich asked what the depth was in the still-water area at low tide. Steve Parker replied approximately 15 to 25 feet.

Kathy Abbass asked what the maximum current in the area was. Steve Parker did not know the answer, but referred to Figure 24 in Appendix C2 of the Draft FS report. (As a follow-up, the maximum current velocities were measured to be approximately 1 foot per second in the cove, up to 15 feet per second outside the Stillwater area.)

Christopher Burnett asked how the sediment contamination compares to other sites. Steve Parker replied that concentrations are higher, but the area of contamination is smaller so it is an acute problem. Steve Parker stated that Gould Island has the highest contaminant concentrations measured in sediment at Naval Station Newport.

David Brown asked if the Navy is going to excess the property. Steve Parker replied that it is still an active facility.

David Dorocz asked how a land use control is implemented in the offshore area. Steve Parker replied that signs would be installed and the area would be marked as restricted to shellfishing activities when people obtain shellfishing licenses. RIDEM would need to agree to restricting shellfishing in the area.

David Dorocz asked if there is any evidence that the current is adding contamination to the area. Steve Parker replied that there has not been evidence of that.

Manuel Marques asked what the area of the still-water basin. It was later looked up and noted at 48,505 ft2, just over one acre.

FIELD WORK UPDATE

Stephen Parker said that field work at Derecktor Offshore has been completed. Also construction of the stone revetment at the OFFTA site will be complete by the end of January 2012. There is no further planned field work until late winter or early Spring 2012.

COMMITTEE REPORT

Thurston Gray reported that 7 of 16 members were present at the meeting. Two members were excused. Six members have not attended a RAB meeting in over two years.

Membership is the only active committee. Other committees may become active in the future if they are needed.

OTHER BUSINESS

David Dorocz said he will modify the meeting agenda for future meetings. Future meetings will include a discussion about what topics should be discussed at the next meeting. Kathy Abbass requested that the new C.O. attend that the RAB meeting in January. Dave Dorocz will invite him.

Christopher Burnett expressed concern about the automatic defense budget cuts in 2012. David Dorocz said that the cuts will not take place until 2013, but he will verify.

David Brown asked if someone could talk to the RAB about effective signage. He said that Ted Clemmitt from the Aquidneck Island planning committee had expressed interest in speaking with the RAB.

David Dorocz stated that asbestos has been found in soil at eight construction sites on the base. He will update the RAB regarding this issue at the January meeting.

David Dorocz will send an email to RAB members explaining how base access will work for the January meeting.

RIDEM has initiated the formal dispute process regarding which stage in the process RIDEM cleanup goals will be introduced.

NEXT MEETING

The next meeting of the RAB will be held on January 18, 2012 at 6:30 PM.

Meeting adjourned at 7:45 PM.

/S/
D. D. Dorocz

Enclosures:
(1) Attendance List
(2) Agenda
(3) Draft Feasibility Study Report Presentation
return to minutes